Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Backyard Beauty

This past weekend, Dave and I went to see Prince Caspian. I was really needing a little willing suspension of disbelief, so I enjoyed it thoroughly. Although, the sweeping camera shots of all those breathtaking landscapes made me sincerely wish I could visit Narnia, even if it isn't what it used to be.

After the credits started rolling and I realized that Narnia wasn't a real place, it made me sincerely wish I could visit wherever the movie was filmed. When I realized that probably wouldn't happen in the near future, my heart actually started to hurt. Not just because I wouldn't be able to visit the "set" of Prince Caspian, but at the thought that I might not get to travel extensively. I have such a strong desire to see as much of the world as possible because for me, it is one of the most awesome displays of God's majesty, and I wan't to see all of it I can.

The next day, Dave and I visited Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. We had been there once before, and I remembered it being pretty, but this time it was beautiful. I was actually overwhelmed with how beautiful and lush it was, and how the air smelled like honeysuckle. At that moment, it occured to me that I'm not sure my senses could have been more pleased by any place than they were right then, as I watched the wind make waves in the tall grass.

So I guess I'm saying that sometimes intense beauty is right in your backyard and you might not even realize it. I still plan to travel the world and the seven seas, but every time I consider the possibility that my plans might not pan out, I'll try to remember that day we spent in the tall grass just 20 minutes from home.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Do you have any pictures from the park you can post? I LOVE Arkansas landscape! There's nothing as beautiful to me as the hills on the drive between Springdale and Siloam!

Ryan Siebert said...

That was beautiful illustrative writing Amanda. With the tremendous rain that southern Missouri and northern Arkansas has received, nature is as vibrant and fertile as ever. I was driving home this past weekend and I was was cruising with the sunroof open and windows down with peaceful music playing; the country hills of southern MO looked gorgeous, the sun was glimmering off the many ponds, there were big happy cows nibbling grass, I had this overwhelming feeling of "how great is Gods creation."

Tweet Roll